Tut Tuesday: How to throw a party using the Michael’s dollar bins

May 15, 2012

I’m a regular at all of the Michael’s crafts stores in the greater Denver area. It’s true. I go to Michael’s at least 2-3 times every week. A few weeks ago, I was perusing through the dollar bins on my lunch break and came across some vintage circus party supplies. I freaked out! I immediately camped out and started collecting everything I could get my hands on. They had everything from animal masks to muffin tins to vintage stamps. Everything is 2 for $3 and it’s very easy and affordable to put on the perfect partay. Click on through for more pictures and information!

I’m a huge fan of stamps and went nuts when I saw these lion-shaped beauties. They also carry a giraffe and hot air balloon shape. Use red ink and stamp onto luggage tags. Wrap around vintage sodas with a little baker’s twine and call it a day! We used wooden fruit baskets to hold red fruits like strawberries to match!

These treat bags came in a set of 6 and a variety of patterns. You better believe I bought every type of bag offered! Fill them with candy and seal with glittered clothespins. They’re the perfect addition to the table.

The animal masks were so fun to use and the kids LOVED posing with them. So serious!

That zebra is my fave.

For the cake topper, spray paint a wooden letter any color and hot glue a BBQ skewer to the back. Drive down into the cake’s center and it will stay put!

I found some toy lions, elephants, and bears and spray painted them gold for cohesion. They also had some muffin tins so I filled those with some yummy yellow cake.

My favorite part of the party was the Ring of Fire Cupcakes. They stole the show and were a piece of cake (seriously) to make! Click here for the how-to!

There were so many goodies to choose from, but these cards were just the ticket for the invites. With a blank inside, the possibilities are endless.

I filled the treat bags with vintage candies. Most of the candy pictured above can be found near the checkout stands at Michael’s. I also scoured through a vintage candy shop here in Denver for some of the extras. Some of the others can be found on Amazon including the Glitterati. I used to eat this Italian candy when I was little and the packaging is so fun to look at. It’s almost too pretty to eat.

The red and white striped fabric is from IKEA and I had quite a lot of it for the backdrop. I also used a bunch of cardstock for the pinwheels. These are cheap and make a big impact. If you are unsure how to make them, this is a great tutorial. To make the table cover, I stamped a bunch of red hot air balloons all over a roll of brown kraft paper.

This party was very inexpensive and VERY fun to throw. It’s all in the details, and luckily, Michael’s had everything I needed. The stamps were a huge hit with me, of course. Head on over to your local Michael’s right now and stock up. I plan to throw lots of circus parties for my future children. They’re gonna LOVE it!

Photography by: Ashley Swapp Photography

27 thoughts on “Tut Tuesday: How to throw a party using the Michael’s dollar bins

1. lisa p

OMG! it’s good to know i’m not the only one who freaks out at the dollar bin!!! i just spotted all those adorable circus items at michaels a week ago and my mind was spinning and dying to throw a party! the masks are my fave! you did a fabulous job!!!

1. Lexy Post author

Lisa! I’m so happy you commented! I spend WAY too much time at the dollar bin. I spend WAY too much time at Michaels. Period. Your cookies are amazing, btw! We’ll have to collaborate for a future party theme! And I’ll eat all of the cookies. :)

2. MJ

Love the concept, Lexi. Would be awesome to see you create stuff from all sorts of dollar stores. Target next? Seriously, beautiful work. XOXO, MJ

1. Lexy Post author

MJ – haha don’t even worry about the spelling! Happens all the time. :) I think you’re on to something with the dollar store party themes!

3. Haley Wilson

Holy crap Lex! The party looks amazing! I need to come visit you in Denver so I can attend one of your fabulous parties.

1. Lexy Post author

Hay, you’re welcome to move in any time you’re ready. And I want to see pics of M’s shower! I know it was amazing!

4. Ari

So cute! Amazing! I need your help with Livi’s 2nd birthday coming up. I want to have a tea party theme!

1. Lexy Post author

Thanks, Amanda! You’re so sweet! And this was SO cheap and SO fun! I went back to Michael’s today for old time’s sake!

1. Lexy Post author

Thanks, Sharon! You’re making me blush. :) The kids loved the party and the cupcakes, but not as much as I did. I’m not ashamed to admit that I ate 4 of the 12 cupcakes used for the party. FOUR!

5. kristine

this party rules!! i love every detail. especially those makes. and the ring of fire cupcakes – clever!! good job! i need to frequent my michaels more often!

6. Maggie

Lexy! This is amazing! I love the invites and the animal masks. This was one lucky kid to have a party this this!

1. Lexy Post author

Thanks, Maggie! We should throw a circus party for your little one when the time comes! :)

7. Tiffany

Lexy! I knew you were cool, but wow! Your blog is so awesome! I wish we lived closer so I could have a chance at being your friend in person!!! I love, love, love your style and this party is inspirational. I had some plans for the little one’s first birthday but that puts those plans in serious question! So glad I found you here….I’m a follower!

1. Lexy Post author

Ha! Tiffany – you are so funny. We’re both cool. :) I wish we lived closer, too. It would be nice having some family around! I’m sure anything you do for the birthday party will be amazeballs!!! Are you guys coming to Denver at all in the future?

8. Lori

I loved this line of stuff from Michael’s the minute I saw it. Great idea with the cupcakes; SO creative, easy, and cute! What a beautiful pary! ~Lori

9. Elizabeth

Where did the masks come from? They are super cute and I would love to find them for a shower I am giving! Thanks for sharing your talents and ideas!

1. Lexy Post author

Hi Elizabeth! The masks are from Michael’s crafts. They were in the dollar bins. Check your local store to see if they are carrying any! Thank you for your sweet comment! I’m happy to share! :)

10. Carolina Azevedo

Hi! I’m from brazil, sorry for the crappy english.
    I love your site and I was wondering if you can send me PDF templates of the masks, I’ll never find masks like these here.
    Thanks, bye!

Carolina.

1. rebecca C

Hi Lexy,
        I am interested in the mask as well. But I am from Malaysia. Was wondering if they are still carrying the mask?

Rebecca

1. Lexy Post author

Hi Rebecca! I haven’t seen the masks at my local Michael’s for a few months. These were last year’s line, but I saw the same ones in a different color scheme this summer! Good luck! :)

11. Sue

Hi! I just saw this and I was wondering if you ever found any other source for the masks. They are exactly what I have been looking for and I know they are long gone from Michael’s. I would really appreciate any help. Thanks!

12. Pingback: Decorando con rosetones de papel