There’s A Baby In There

April 17, 2013

http-__makeagif.com_media_4-17-2013_HrsZAv (1)

I have nodes. I mean I have news. (Anyone seen Pitch Perfect?)

I’ve been dying to tell you guys for months. We’re having a b-a-b-y in October. I’m starting to spell words out loud for parent p-r-a-c-t-i-c-e. The news actually came as a huge shock to us. This is something I’ve wanted for a long time. A long time. LONG. time.

Before I left for Alt Summit, I was feeling super crazy and emotional, but I just chalked that up to my lack of sleep and crazy stress from preparing for that huge mother of a conference. I came home and was feeling super tired and fatigued. I learned that tons of people had caught the flu at Alt and that we were all under the weather. Two weeks later, I was still super sick and on my death bed. People were better and I was still sick. And guys, I have the immune system of a dog. Dogs have GREAT immune systems because they eat anything and everything and build antibodies. That’s my theory. I eat anything and everything too, and so I rarely get super sick. But it happened. I was sleeping all day everyday and dropping weight like it was my job. Then one early morning, I took a test and it was positive. I took another! Positive. Logan was out of town and so it was just me and lil’ Tagg in the bathroom. I was talking things through with Tagg.

“We must be pregnant, Tagg. There are two lines on the tests and two lines means we’re pregnant. There are two lines. We’re pregnant. Don’t you agree?”

He concurred.

“By the way, Tagg, you have the strongest immune system I have ever seen.”

I went to the doctor and had it confirmed. I kept it a secret for another week before telling Logan. I wanted to tell him on Valentine’s Day in some cute way. Instead, I gave him an empty box of chocolates and blamed the emptiness on the fact of my pregnant-ness.

When I first returned from Alt, I worked to convince myself that I was glad that I wasn’t pregnant. I had just gone five days without sleep and was drinking 5+ Diet Cokes a day. I was dancing my buns off at all the dance parties. I was a crazy person. I told myself that it was a good thing I wasn’t pregnant because there is no way a baby would have survived the insanity that was me at Alt Summit. But this bebe is a total fighter. I can’t believe he/she stuck around. I must be really great company. PS – we find out next week if it’s a little he or a little she. :)

Since then, things have been really crazy. To say I have been sick is a total understatement. That’s why things were so quiet around here! I had absolutely no energy to create. I’ve lived in bed for the last 7.5 weeks. Living in silence all while wanting to scream “I’m with child!” is tricky business. I’m starting to feel like myself again and have had a lot of time to plan some great projects to come in the future. I hope you’ll stick around now that you know my deep, dark secret. I’m back. I’m blogging. I’m having a baby. Ready yourselves. :)

Feeling blessed,

Lexy

50 thoughts on “There’s A Baby In There

1. Emily Jeffords

I’m so happy for you! You’re going to be such a great mom. Oh man, I can just imagine it now…. baby parties and little adorable picnic DIY’s……

Get much rest! I’m so glad we get to celebrate with you now!

Emily Jeffords

2. Kelly @ Studio DIY

YAY!!!!!!!!!!! I am just so happy for you Lex! Who knew there was a little baby bouncing (flailing?) around with you on that Alt dance floor!? Eeee! I’m just going to keep squealing over here… don’t mind me.

3. Haley Wilson

This has to be my favorite Proper Pinwheel post of all time! Ah!! So happy for you and Logan. Can’t wait to meet my new favorite baby. He/She is going to be gorgeous and hilarious just like you guys. I’m sending girly vibes your way (I’m selfish and love shopping for girls) but I will totally love and spoil your baby all the same if it’s a boy. I’ll just be forced to work harder to find adorable boy things.

4. Amy C

Congrats Lexy!! That baby is a fighter – it made it through the Alt craziness! Haha! Fantastic news. Hope you are feeling better and it stays that way until baby arrives. Take care momma!

5. Sandra

Congratulations! I remember those sleepy days in the early months. The middle is full of energy and then you slow down again near the end.

Enjoy every second!

6. The New Diplomat's Wife

congratulations on little pinwheel! also…just saw pitch perfect on the plan…i think it’s a bit like the new save the last dance for me. i have a thing for movies for angsty teens finding love through expressive arts.

ps – feel better soon! hummus, chocolate chip cookies and mashed potatoes worked for me (perhaps not all together)

7. Katy @ All Sorts of Pretty

OH GOSH oh gollygosh, I am so excited for you! Loved reading your story too, you are such a cutie. I was wondering why it was so quiet on your blog, but now it makes total sense. I just thought you were being lame (KIDDING!) ;-) Can’t wait to see what the future holds for you and your growing family.

8. brianne

Dude, this is so exciting! I can’t believe you were preggers at alt, you were doing so much amazingness! Glad you were, though, I know this is something you were really wanting. Lesbionest, babies are the best :D

9. Dana

Mazel tov! Get ready for the most awesome experience ever. If it’s any consolation, I was as sick as could be the entire first trimester and when I hit 13 weeks, it was like a switch was flipped. My energy came back, I felt well-rested, I was happy and the best part…I was showing! Enjoy this wonderful time.

10. Elena @ Randomly Happy

You’re one awesome lady and this is by far one of the best ‘baby on board’ posts I’ve ever read. Lucky babe to have such a cool, fun, loving mama. Fact.

x Elena @ Randomly Happy

ps Massive Congratulations!

11. Chelsea C.

Ahhhhh I’ve been dying to see that BUMP! Cutest mama in all the land. Obviously, we all couldn’t be happier for you. I also can’t believe that the little pinwheel was doing the POP with you at Alt. I think it’s a very fitting start. xo

12. Morgan Rapp

Bah! Congrats! That is great news! Jayne and I are both due in September with our first! There must be something in the water. The first few months were rough for me as well so I feel ya there. I am finally starting to feel somewhat normal again though, so hang it there. You look adorable!

13. Iuliana Blakely

That’s so awesome Lexy! You are gonna be such an awesome mommy…I can just tell! My story is sort of similar – I had to organize a wedding for a friend of mine in a DIFFERENT country all in only two weeks, while being pregnant and not knowing about it. Seriously, I guess my baby and now yours, really wanted to stick around! Congrats!

14. Jenn V

Congratulations! I am so excited. I am pregnant…due Sept 16th and I can totally relate to the being sick/not blogging. It is truly hard to wake up and literally make it to the end of the day so that while you sleep you wont be so sick. I love seeing that people are pregnant around the internet especially since I’m pregnant too. Fun!

15. Tam

This is the cutest post and the happiest news! Congratulations! Such an exciting and special time for you guys. Enjoy (as much as you can) every minute. Tam x

16. Joy | Frock Files

Lexy, two things: 1) CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! I’m thrilled for you. 2) You’re hilarious and this post nearly made me snort coffee out my nose. I hope your morning sickness passes soon so you can start feeling that maternal glow people are always talking about. You’re the loveliest and I know you’ll be a fantastic mama. xo